Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Happy Place

Life just doesn't get any better than this.

I'm sitting on my couch (in my finally clean house), watching DVR episodes of "Barefoot Contessa" with my cookbooks and food magazines strewn about my living room, plotting the cooking escapades I'll have this weekend. Ahhh...my happy place.

It's true. I am positively giddy to make my list and inspect all the delicious, delectable goodies at Whole Foods and Costco and Publix. (Are "they" sure there isn't a condition I have?)

To make matters more exciting, I just watched a clip of The Pioneer Woman on "Good Morning America" and read all about her experience on her blog. I want to be Ree. Seriously.

(BTW - Why do the men in the Hamptons wear corduroys with embroidered frogs or bees or whatever? Sorry, distracting moment on this BC episode.)

While the past month has been crazy busy, I did manage to whip up a couple yummy meals. One of my favorite standbys is couscous salad. It's easy, you can put basically anything in it, and it's light and healthy. I tried a Mediterranean version this time.


I had some frozen shrimp on hand and a bunch of my favorite veggies: cherry tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, peppers and scallions. Add some feta cheese, olives, fresh herbs and citrus zest/juice and viola! Here is the recipe I used, but it really can be modified with anything you have on hand. (Oh, I love love love to put rotisserie chicken in too.)





Mediterranean Couscous Salad with Shrimp

Salad:
12-15 frozen, precooked shrimp, thawed
1 package of couscous (I use whole wheat or plain)
1/2 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
2 scallions, sliced
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/3 cup feta cheese
1 can cannelleni beans, drained and rinsed

Dressing:
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or more if you like)
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or more if you like)
2 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1/4 - 1/3 Cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tablespoon sugar

Directions:
  1. Cook couscous according to package directions. Place in large bowl and set aside.
  2. Chop the veggies and add them to the couscous with the olives, feta, beans and shrimp.
  3. Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a separate bowl, whisking until combined.
  4. Pour dressing over the couscous mixture and toss until coated.
  5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment