Monday, September 7, 2009

All Things Great and Grilled

Labor Day 2009 has now come and gone. The unofficial end of summer. This weekend was a momentous one for me - I bought my first grill! Oh, I've had a grill for several years, but just had never actually purchased one myself...the one I wanted that looked nice and shiny in the store and even more pristine sitting on my back patio.

Behold: The Grill



Having been raised in a family that believes only perfection comes from these grates, there was significant pressure to prepare my inaugural meal and report back to my father (who I'm fairly certain couldn't sleep last night waiting to hear about the culinary experience). I set out this morning, marinating chicken breasts in a bit of soy sauce, dijon and whole grain mustards, and garlic. Just soaking up the saltiness and sweetness every moment in the crisp fridge air.

A bit later, I headed to the market where I stocked up on some of the last of the season's sweet corn and fresh green beans. The smell of slowly simmering beans (mixed with a little bacon, sweet onion and S&P) wafting through the house brought back memories of snapping beans as a kid into the colander. A job my mom gave me to keep my tiny hands busy - and out of her way - I'm sure. In final preparation for the inaugural moment, I husked the corn, coated it with a little butter spray, salt and chili pepper, and then wrapped it in foil for the big moment.

The grill had been heating up for about 15-20 minutes, so I knew it was ready. The moment of truth. Hearing that first sizzle when I positioned the chicken just right was like an ode to the greatness of grilling. The smoky smell of the soy-dijon mix as it hit the flame, mixed with the ensuing crispiness of the grill marks in the chicken were nearly more than I could handle.


Pair that loveliness with a cold glass of sweet white wine, and the result is a summer-filled, grilled feast fit for a queen (and her pup).



Asian-Mustard Marinade
3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
2 teaspoons of whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
Whisk together and spread over meat or fish.





















2 comments:

  1. I can't believe your dad didn't insist on "supervising" your inaugural grilling voyage. But I guess he knows just how talented you are in the kitchen AND behind the grate! Looks yummy, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be joining you and your pup next time. Just so you know. I want to eat that meal *now*.

    ReplyDelete