Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Morning Brunch


Brunch has quite possibly become my favorite meal these days. What could be more perfect than a delicious assortment of seasonal fruits, decadent pastries, savory omelets, perfectly browned pancakes and waffles, cheesy grits, exotic coffees, hot teas and sweet juices?

I'm always in the mood for brunch - morning, noon or night.

This rainy Sunday morning seemed to be calling for me to try my hand at my own homemade brunch (putting my normal bowl of cold cereal or instant oatmeal on hold). My coffee pot just brewed an intoxicating pot of Joe, and the paper was waiting for my leisurely stroll through its pages. My fridge was stocked with yummy-ness from a lengthy trip to the store planning for my week, so why not whip up some magic?

Caramelized onions. Rosemary. Simple, yet savory and sweet - the perfect combination for my omelet. I had never actually caramelized onions myself (save for a cooking class once, with heavy eye from the chef instructor), and I must say, it was delightfully easy. Combined with a bit of fresh rosemary from my "garden," my mouth was watering to take the first bite.

Now came the test: success!

The sweetness of the onions with their caramely goodness and the savory freshness of the rosemary infused throughout the omelet making my taste buds water with each bite. Can you mourn food that you've eaten? If so, I did. Although, I was full and satisfied, the sight of an empty plate where such goodness had once rested, made me long for the good times we'd had together...all 15 minutes of bliss from plate to mouth.

For all you brunch-lovers, bon appetit!

Rosemary Caramelized Onion Omelet

2 eggs
2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
½ small Vidalia onion, sliced
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper

1. Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and the olive oil in a small skillet on medium
heat

2. Add the onions; let them cook until they are golden brown (about 15 minutes), stirring frequently

3. Mix the eggs, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl until
combined

4. Melt the remaining butter in a nonstick pan on medium-low heat; add the egg mixture and sprinkle the top with the rosemary

5. Let the egg mixture cook until bubbles begin to appear on the top and the egg
mixture does not run when you rub the spatula around the sides of the pan

6. Add the onion to the top of the egg mixture; gently fold one side of the egg mixture over the other

7. Continue cooking until egg is done in the center of the omelet

8. Garnish with rosemary if you like

No comments:

Post a Comment