Saturday, December 19, 2009

Saturday Night Pizza

It may sound crazy, but one of my favorite things about being single is the fact that on a whim, I can have a cozy Saturday night at home where I cook up some yummy food, pour a glass of wine and rent a movie (or watch some good girly TV). Tonight is one of these nights.

After having finished up my Christmas shopping this afternoon (and being several pennies poorer for it), I challenged myself to come up with a quick, easy dinner recipe made from ingredients I already have in the house. I whipped up what I like to call, appropriately, Saturday Night Pizza (aka any kind of pizza you want with whatever toppings you like).

It might seem silly, but I had a bit of apprehension about putting the ingredients together: a few pieces of Canadian bacon, a whole wheat Boboli pizza crust, some shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, an onion and fresh rosemary. Oh, and of course, a nice glass of wine.

To make things easy, I used my favorite pizza sauce, Dei Fratelli. If you try it once, you will never, ever buy jarred pizza sauce again or slave over your own. It comes in a can, and has the freshest tomato taste mixed with sweet garlic and herbs.



I added a little Canadian bacon and fresh rosemary (let's be honest, rosemary makes everything better).

Next, caramelized onions. I'm slightly obsessed at the moment with caramelized onions. Why? Who knows. The mere fact that a savory onion with a bite to the tongue can slowly cook in a bit of olive oil and butter, bringing out its sweet, sugary flavors amazes me. The texture and taste totally change.



Top it with the cheeses, and pop it into the oven. In 15 minutes, my house smelled delicious and my mouth was watering.



The final product: ooey, gooey, cheesy, savory, sweet goodness on a plate. On TV, a little holiday chic flick.





I love Saturday nights.


Saturday Night Pizza

Ingredients:

1 small onion, sliced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 package of your favorite pizza crust (such as Boboli)
1 Cup prepared pizza sauce (I use Dei Fratelli)
1 ½ Cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 Cup of shredded parmesan romano cheese
2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary, chopped
4 slices of Canadian bacon, cut into small squares


Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Heat oil and butter in small skillet on medium heat; add onion and cook slowly on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized.

Place pizza crust on baking stone or cookie sheet; spread pizza sauce on crust.

Add Canadian bacon, rosemary and caramelized onions; top with cheeses.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! to the dinner -and- the evening. Wish I could've joined in!

    ReplyDelete