Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What Happens When it Snows in the South

It has only happened twice in the nearly 20 years I've lived in Atlanta, but we're going on Snow Day #4 here in the Peach State. Yep. Cabin fever has begun to set in (don't get me wrong, I love my cabin) and we're all trying to find ways to not only entertain ourselves, but also keep from dying of boredom.

Snow Day #1 was thrilling (I mean, this IS the Peach State). My neighbors and I gathered around "the manpit" and laughed as we drank wine and made fools of ourselves with such things as night sledding and Snow Olympics (well, I missed out on those earlier in the day but enjoyed the stories).

This is us. Aren't we cute?


After hearing my neighbors talk of their delicious "snow day breakfasts," I had to break out of my instant oatmeal rut. As any good Southerner does when there's even a slight chance of flurries, in preparation I had headed to the store and stocked up like we'd be holed up for a week. (Sadly, I may have been right this time.) So, I was delighted when I realized I had a fresh garden of deliciousness in my fridge to create from.

This was my creation:


I'm trying to get more veggies in, so an egg scramble with sauteed mushrooms and spinach with a bit of parmesan was so warm and cozy for Snow Day #2. Of course, you can't have eggs without whole wheat toast and pecan pumpkin butter schmeared all over it. Or a peppermint mocha coffee creamer shot.

(Notice, all the work-from-home necessities in the background. I was productive and creative!)

This kind of weather makes me want to bake.  Bake, bake, bake! So, I whipped up a loaf of pecan-pumpkin quickbread (from a Williams Sonoma mix that was a Christmas gift) and satisfied my craving.

I have certainly enjoyed these delictables...I wonder what tomorrow will bring???

Spinach-Mushroom Scramble

Ingredients:
2 T. butter or margarine
2-3 eggs
1/4 C. milk or cream
1/3 C. mushrooms
1/2 C. baby spinach leaves
2 T. shaved parmesan cheese
salt
pepper

Directions:
1. Melt butter or margarine in medium nonstick skillet on medium temperature
2. Beat eggs, milk or cream, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl until well mixed; set aside
3. Add mushrooms to skillet and add pinch of salt; sautee until the begin to brown and soften
4. Add egg mixture to mushrooms in skillet
5. Add spinach to skillet and cook without stirring for 1-2 minutes (until bottom of eggs begin to set); using a spatula, scramble egg mixture to desired consistency
6. Add parmesan just before removing eggs from skillet
7. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, seeing that breakfast and scrummy cup of Kristina-coffee makes me want to be in your cozy "cabin" with you for a snowy morning visit!!

    I'm hoping this girl will remain as calm and happy as she seems to be throughout coming months, so we can make our Ella Spring Tour o' the South 2011. We will come see you!

    ReplyDelete